Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Rev. Jerry Falwell :•|


SPECIAL POST (Going against the "one question only" policy)
Just a word to pay respect to the Reverend Jerry Falwell. And my prayers go out to his family, church and the students and staff at Liberty University. As I was doing my homework tonight, I had on CNN's News coverage of Falwell's death in the background (young people, don't follow my bad habit doing homework with the TV on). Anyway, I heard several news reporters and people being interviewed from across the nation cry about how he was a "lightning rod", "controversial", and a man that "spewed hate speech". I swear, I thought maybe a documentary on Louis Farrakhan was being aired. Growing up, I remember seeing his show, "The Old Time Gospel Hour", with that patented blue-robbed choir in the background being on every Sunday morning as I got ready for church.

His strong views were often misinterpreted as hate speech. As Dr. James Dobson, president of Focus on the Family commented on CNN's Larry King, "Rev. Falwell was just reading what the scriptures said. And many misinterpret that as hate speech". Anytime you read from God's word to through the leftist media to our post-modern culture, you too will be labeled as "hater" or "controversial". Dr. Dobson also noted his impact on Christianity and society. "But his legacy will be his love of Jesus Christ". Many Christians may not have agreed with Rev. Falwell's outspoken style, but they need to put away their Christian milk and cookies worldview and start cooking with gas-metaphorically speaking.

Rev Jerry Falwell, was a man of courage, a man of boldness, and most importantly, a man of God. And I pray that I'm at least half the man that Rev. Jerry Falwell was.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Nice brief and this enter helped me alot in my college assignement. Thank you on your information.