Tuesday, March 11, 2008

"Should schools teach abstinence?"


The Centers for Disease Control (CDC) released a study today stating that one in four teen girls in the U.S. has a sexually transmitted infection. That's approximately over 3 million teenage girls in the US. What's worse is that side effects of STI are not known until it's too late...and many teen girls won't even know they are carriers of such disease.

Of course, the "Abstinence Only" promoters are not only asked to go to the back of the bus, but nowadays, are not even allowed on the bus.

I pondered, "What is causing this drastic rise in sexual activity with our teen girls?" There are many factors that could be responsible for this, fatherless homes, uneducated about risks of sexually transmitted diseases, and others. However, I want to focus on one; Today's choice of entertainment for our youth. Specifically, music. I went to Billboards Singles Chart Top 10 website. I've listed three of the top 10 songs below with some of their lyrics:

"If you didn’t know, you’re the only thing that’s on my mind
Cuz the way I'm staring miss you got me wantin to give it to you all night."
—Lyrics: Usher - Love In This Club lyrics

"Hey lil mama, ooh you're a stunner
Hot little figure, yes you a winner, and
I'm so glad to be yours." Chris Brown - With You lyrics

"Hey, dime piece girl turned to Internet hottie
Little mama got that top model body." Flo Rida Elevator Lyrics
Featuring: Timbaland Lyrics


Many of these songs make Prince's "Little Red Corvette" sound like a children's story time book. Promiscuity abounds is an understatement.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

It seems that you haven't really checked your facts. This statistic includes the HPV virus which is carried, largely invisibly, by about 70% of the population. Though it can be transmitted sexually, it can also be contracted in other fashion. While a small percentage of cases have some link to cervical cancer, in most people it exists quite benignly.

This kind of shrill panic does nothing but cause people to ridicule you, ignoring any genuine ideas you might have.

You'll get further with logic than hysteria.

Anonymous said...

No, of course schools should not teach abtinence.

That's for parents, or perhaps church to teach children.

Schools are having a hard enough time teaching them reading, writing and arithmetic. That should be their function.

Steve Solis said...

"Schools are having a hard enough time teaching them reading, writing and arithmetic."

But they're not. They're too busy indoctrinating young 9,10 year old boys on accepting your "gay" just because you think girls have "koodies". They're just being any normal boy at that age.

Or.

if two young girls of similar age are holding hands...the public schools are brainwashing them that they're lesbians and were born that way.

When I grew up as a kid, I used to kick puppies walking home from school. Whenever I'd see a puppy or a kitten, I'd kick it. Friends asked why I did that. I simply replied, "I was born that way."

Obviously I'm speaking hypotheically to make my point.

Anonymous said...

It's rather shocking, and telling, that you draw parallels between gayness and cruelty to domestic animals.

God loves you. No matter what impulses you're strugging with.

Steve Solis said...

"God loves you. No matter what impulses you're strugging with."

I hope God loves me because I've struggled with the impluse of kicking puppies when I go for walks. It's just something I was born with... obviously, I'm speaking hypothetically to make my point.